Monday, February 2, 2009

hello detox

so I know I haven't written in a long time, and unfortunately this will be a very short post. I worked yesterday, Super Bowl Sunday, I was not at my regular firehouse and let me tell you that I felt like a guy in need of methadone. 29 guys at this house, lots of testosterone and actually a couple football coaches. Throw in a degenerate that is practicing abstinence and honesty and you have a recipe for disaster. This part of the story has a happy ending. I studied for close to twelve hours (another story as the Lieutenants Exam approaches) and watch in total about 6 minutes of the Super Bowl. After being asked several times to "buy one of the last squares" and declining over and over, I was greeted with "wait until I call Gruber (my regular boss) and tell him that you didn't get in a single pool at the firehouse." Little did they know how delighted Gruber would be. The single most frugal man in the world. So here I am exhausted and wanting to write more, unfortunately it would be a ramble. I will, I promise, write more soon. Just let me get my feet back. Oh yeah, I am proud to say that this is the first superbowl that I can ever remember not betting on at all!! No pools, strip cards, straight bets, prop bets, parlays....nothing...and I got about 13 pages of notes to show for it!!! how many guys studying can say that! I like the idea of knowing that I am catching up to guys that have been studying by taking advantage of my time!! Adios and thanks to my wife for fielding my calls yesterday as kickoff approached...didn't have to say much, just knowing she was there made my evening so much easier!!!

3 comments:

M said...

so proud of you joe. i can only imagine how tough sunday was but you got through it and it didn't kill you. well done!

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you too. In a show of solidarity, I did not watch as well. You know I am always here for you. Even if that means listening to you breathe, in person or on the phone. Your existence is important to me and T and Judy too. Even though you could be a potted plant for all she knows. I mean for god's sake she can't even see anything yet. But she's getting there. "Hello sleeping through the night, here I come"' says the little girl with almond shaped eyes that looks like her daddy.

Ellen said...

If he were around he would tell you how proud he is. Keep the faith.