Monday, October 20, 2008

being right...

So today I made an appointment with my physician. I have a sinus infection. Whoa is me. Whatever. My wife and my mother both told me to make an appointment over a week ago. The stubborn one here decided he would fight through the nagging congestion, lack of sleep and teary eyes. I never claimed to be the smartest. Anyways...this brings me to the being right thing. I don't know what it is about me that has always had this obsession with being right. I know, looking back, that it definitely plays a role in my obsession with wagering. So I began to ponder what is so wrong with not being right. For me it is control. I feel that, when I am wrong, I have somehow not prepared to be right and this inadequacy is not very becoming. I also think it has to do with me not thinking the best of myself at all times....another character flaw I am working on. Bear with me here folks. What I am starting to notice is that in order to grow as a person I must let go of my obsession with being right. It is being wrong that creates learning. Being wrong would allow others (my wife especially) to know that I truly trust them. Much like a "trust fall." Ya know what I mean. My obsession with being able to handicap games and make wagers that win or lose would make me feel even emptier inside. There is so much about these people that wants me to make them feel this trust that I have in them. Wanting them to know what it means to have support....to have them know I do enjoy the giving that is provided for me. This is something that I will never get from winning a big game, yet I consistently attempt to do so. For the record this is getting bit deeper than I originally intended (everyone that reads please send me a billing statement for this session and I will cut you all checks...hee hee.) After reading what I have written it goes beyond being right. It falls on my shoulders to be comfortable to be who I am and trust who I have around me...and that those around me want to see me grow and be free of this albatross. This is heavy enough...on a lighter side...at work yesterday taxpayers will be happy to know that the same guy was picked up and taken to the hospital at 3 different times on the taxpayers dime!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too appreciate the honesty. I hope this offers some moments of quiet time in a hectic but beautiful life. I love you and T loves you and I know your new baby is going to love you as well. If it offers any consolation, you are usually right, it's just the times that you are not.....you're so passionately wrong.