Thursday, November 20, 2008

ring ring ring ring ring ring ring....God Bless you...


As I walked to see the mind freak the other day along the magnificent mile, I couldn't help but notice the constant ringing, the cherry pickers elevated in the street with the elves wrapping the trees with lights. Everyone was getting ready for the big weekend (Mickey Mouse lights the mile this weekend.) I made my way across the river and while waiting for the light to change (I do that on occasion) I couldn't help but think of taking the same walk with my wife and son a few weeks ago. I showed her where Cris Angel's office is and enjoyed a wonderful morning. This particular day, I started laughing out loud thinking of something that happened that particular weekend. It has happened to all of us, we think of something really funny that makes us giggle aloud. People probably looked, but I could care less!!! I just kept hearing "Bad news for Washington, Bad news for Washington, India makes great progress in their space program, bad news for Washington, bad news for Washington." You get my drift. Mrs. Hammer and I stood there a few weeks ago and waited with this woman who kept repeating herself over and over..some thought she was on a phone or listening to the radio....but not I!!!! She was cacacacacacrazzy!!!! I know it's not p.c. but neither am I. Anyways, I made my way to the office, had a wonderful visit and returned North on Michigan. The elves still working and the bells still ringing!!! I felt like my senses were heightened and that was probably due to my great visit. I started to think about the holidays, Christmas for that matter, and how the purpose of Christmas differs for everyone. For me it has always been about giving. Finding the perfect gift for the particular person on your list and anxiously awaiting that person's reaction. I have always prided myself on good taste and unique choices. Smiles have always been my gift. Seeing faces of those opening gifts that I have bought, made, or even written has been the gift for me. People sometimes tell me how hard I am to buy for. Well I wish everyone would believe me when I say there isn't anything that I want. What I want can't be bought. I want to continue to work on myself. I want to earn trusts I have broken. I want to laugh, smile, and break bread with my family and friends over the next few weeks. You see, things that I want cannot be bought. The gifts that I get every year continue to keep me going every day!!! People have given me many gifts in my life, none compare to the gift of love and support that I get from on person in particular. Why all this blabbing and how does the title fit you ask?? Well the Salvation Army bell ringers make me think of how truly fortunate that I am not to be alone. The elves lining the tries with lights. Well to some those lights are bright and tinkly, yet they don't see much beyond their physical state. For me, those lights are wishes for people like the ones we walk next to, yet somehow think they have more or sometimes less than us. Those wishes are no different than mine or yours for that matter. A wish is that!! Who makes it is what is important, not what the wish is. We all have different opinions of what we want for the holidays, just because we differ doesn't make one better than the other. My wish has come true...and continues to..for those who are still wondering just what to wish for, the only thing I offer is this. When trying to make sure you have just the right wish, make sure that you remember that all those lights are other people's wishes...not the glitz that they appear to be....look closely around your inner circle and may all your wishes come true!!!!

On a lighter note, the hammer has made his wish for Elmo!!! At least I think that is his wish, as he says everything is Elmo!!! Doesn't matter what you point at, it's Elmo. The tv starts to hum, it's Elmo, you pick up a book, it's Elmo...I don't care what the hell it is, it's Elmo!! One thing I tell you, it's fucking hilarious and cute!!!

No comments: